Burrell Collection Glasgow
The Burrell Collection is situated in Pollok Country Park on the south side of the city of Glasgow.
The Burrell Collection is an art collection put together over many years by Sir William Burrell, a wealthy industrialist, ship owner and art collector who then gifted it to the city of Glasgow in 1944.
The gift was made on the condition that the collection was to be housed in a building 16 miles from the centre of Glasgow, to show the works to their greatest advantage, and to avoid the damaging effects of air pollution at the time. The trustees spent over 20 years trying to find a suitable ‘home’ for the collection, one which met all the criteria set out in the Trust Deed, without success. Eventually, when The Pollok Estate was gifted to the city in 1967, the Trustees had certain terms of the deed waived, which allowed the current site, 3 miles from the city centre and within the city boundaries, to be chosen for the collection
The Burrell contains an important collection of medieval art including stained glass and tapestries, oak furniture, medieval weapons and armour, Islamic art, artefacts from ancient Egypt and China, Impressionist works by Degas and Cezanne, modern sculpture and a whole host of other artefacts from around the world, all collected by one man.
The museum was opened by the Queen in 1983 and is an art collection in the city of Glasgow, in Scotland.
For contact details and directions check the link – Burrell Collection Glasgow