Glasgow Art School
The Glasgow Art School or the school of art in Glasgow is one of four independent art schools in Scotland, situated in the Garnethill area of Glasgow. It is regarded as one of the most prestigious institutions in the world for the study of art and design.
Glasgow School of Art is one of the few Art-Noveau buildings in Glasgow, displaying a style influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement of the late 19th century.
The Art School is situated in a compact campus, spread across 10 buildings, in the centre of Glasgow, north of Sauchiehall Street, with the exception of the school’s digital design studio which is situated within the House for an Art Lover, in Bellahouston Park on the south side of the city.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh had submitted his designs for the competition in 1895 and was successful in becoming the winning entrant when the result was announced in early 1897. Funding limitatations meant that the building was erected in stages between 1897 and 1909.
Glasgow School of Art still demonstrates a freshness of style and presents a fascinating insight into turn of the century modernism.
The Mackintosh Building or “The Mac” as it is colloquially known is the heart of the campus and continues to be a functioning part of the school. It primarily houses the Fine Art Painting department, the Interior Design department, first year studios and administrative staff. It also houses the Mackintosh gallery which holds many different exhibitions throughout the year. The gallery is the only part of the Mackintosh building open to the general public; all other areas are of the school are only viewable by guided tour. An exception to this rule is the Degree Show where all the studios within the Mackintosh building are opened to allow people to view the graduating year’s final artworks.
Directly opposite the Mackintosh Building are the Newbery Tower, Foulis Building and Assembly Building. The Newbury Tower houses the Textiles, Jewellery & Silversmithing departments and the Refectory cafeteria, actually a second branch of Where the Monkey Sleeps, a city centre cafe and restaurant run by three ex-graduates. The Foulis has the Product Design Engineering, Product Design, Visual Communications departments and the Centre for Advanced Textiles.
The Richmond Building is home to the Fine Art photography department. Connected to the Richmond Building is the John D. Kelly Building which houses the printmaking department, as well as the first year design programme.
The Mackintosh School of Architecture and the school’s library are situated in The Bourdon Building.
The Barnes Building on West Graham Street is the base for the MFA and Sculpture and environmental art studios.
Of its 1,900 students, almost 20 per cent are from outside the UK.
For contact details and directions check the link – School of Art