Home » Articles » Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

The Argyll hotel is located on Sauchiehall Street towards the west end of Glasgow

The name is derived from “saugh”, the Scots for a willow tree and “haugh” the word for a meadow, which was later corrupted into “hall”.

Reportedly Sauchiehall Street was originally a narrow, winding lane with villas standing in large (sometimes an acre in size) gardens.

The eastern end of this street, from Buchanan Street to West Nile Street was previously called Cathcart Street.

Sauchiehall Street was widened in 1846 and is now a mile-long, broad street, running in straight lines, from Buchanan Street in the east to Kelvingrove and the Museum and Art Galleries in the west.

Sauchiehall Street runs one way from Charing Cross to the city centre where it becomes pedestrianized at the junction of Blythswood Street and continues to Buchanan Street. The traffic on the street runs parallel between Renfrew Street and Bath Street. Sauchiehall Lane runs parallel to the south of the pedestrianized section of the street,. It is approximately one mile long and was widened for traffic in 1846. Sauchiehall Street continues past Charing Cross, over the M8 Motorway, widening further until it merges with Argyle Street.

It is Glasgow’s most famous thoroughfare, partly because of its Scottish-sounding music-hall name, partly because it is such a popular street for shopping.